Wednesday, February 9, 2005

San Cristobal

San Cristobal Photos
Weds., 2/2/2005
After Jorge turned us loose we explored the other levels of the Fort San Cristobal. It was a lot of steep ramps, and tiny circular stairs but I did it. It is an amazing place. We could not actually see what was in the dungeon until I downloaded these pictures. It was really dark in there with one dim uplight at the door and one tiny slit window at the far end. I don't know how far down it was but it seemed like we went down in the tunnel for a few minutes before reaching the dungeon, you had to really know where it was and be looking for it. Anyway, we went in and there was just enough light at the top of the narrow downsloping dungeon tunnel to see the pictures hand drawn on the wall of old Spanish sailing ships under plexiglas (so they did not photograph well) and then further down a rope across and darkness. Debbie told me she thought something was down there and to snap a photo with flash. We couldn't see anything at the time, but temporarily blinded ourselves, had a good laugh and then a better laugh when we got home and downloaded the photos to computer, it is number six here. (Since we were traveling to and from the Diamond independently and leaving our luggage in a couple of places before and after the cruise, I left my laptop at home. I really missed it! Our cruise documents stated that we would have no formal evenings, but since that really only excluded packing a tie for me, and we were trying to stay at one carry-on each I felt that I really couldn't bring the laptop. After we boarded the ship, the first Passages on the bed when we entered the room stated the dress for all 4 nights and it was ALL CASUAL. AARGH! I could have brought my laptop instead of those clothes!!)
Next we walked over to El Morro, just about a mile apart.